How do the classes work?
It varies a little bit from one class to another, but in general students will spend about an hour a week together, with the instructor, in our “virtual online classroom.” They will have time all together, and some instructors may use breakout rooms to allow for small group discussion, as well. There is usually some homework to complete between class sessions. In the virtual classroom, they can see and hear the other students and the instructor, and there are a lot of tools they can use to interact with each other. E-Lecta, our virtual classroom provider, is designed to work on Macs and PCs and has smartphone apps for both iOS and Android devices. Students have successfully participated on their smartphones. You can find more on the system requirements here.
Will there be a live, interactive component to the classes?
All GHF Online classes will combine live, interactive sessions via E-lecta with asynchronous elements which students can access on the course site at their own convenience. GHF Online classes will average one hour per week of live, interactive class time to give students an opportunity to discuss their ideas and interact with course instructors and fellow students. Some courses may have longer, bi-weekly sessions rather than weekly sessions. These sessions will take place as multi-person audio or video chats. Some classes may require participation in a text-based discussion forum in addition to class time. Some courses may also include opportunities for group projects.
How much time will GHF courses require?
While each course will vary depending on the instructor and course content, a general rule of thumb is as follows:
- High School level courses will require 3 - 6 hours per week including class time, assignments, readings and accessing other materials on the course site.
- For students working at the Middle School level, classes will generally require 2.5 - 4 hours per week including class time.
- For the youngest students, classes run for an hour and would require only 1-1.5 hours per week outside of class.
- Reading and writing speed can vary widely among students. These estimates are based on a theoretical "average gifted student."
- For students with extremely asynchronous learning or social differences, our instructors will be happy to discuss how to make it work for everyone.
How do I determine if a class is a good fit for my child?
Determining the fit between a given course and a student's readiness ideally should take a number of factors into consideration. Factors to consider are:
- The student's ability to comprehend the course content
- The student's comfort and experience with the thematic material (especially in literature and film courses)
- The student's ability to participate fully and contribute to class discussions
- The student's ability and willingness to produce at the level the course is designed, or something close to it.
- The student's ability to participate fully and appropriately in a live chat involving 5 to 10 people.
- The student's ability to take responsibility for the asynchronous elements of the course (outside reading and viewing, assignments, forum participation etc.).
If I realize the course is not a good fit, can I get a refund?
- If a class is dropped at least 7 days prior to the start of classes, the refund will be full class fee minus the $20 registration fee.
- If a class is dropped between 6 days prior to the start of classes and the 14th day after classes begin, the refund will be 50% of class fee minus the $20 registration fee. For example, if the class fee is $245, the refund will be $112.50. ($245 - $20 = $225, $225 x .5 = $112.50)
- After the 14th day of classes no refunds will be given.
Will you offer additional courses?
- Yes. Information about additional courses will be posted as soon as it is available. Most of our classes are a semester long, with some year-long classes. We hope to add shorter classes and webinars in the near future.
Sounds great! When can we register?
- Check out the course schedule for current information!
Still have questions?
- Send us an email at email@example.com!