Starts on the Date/Time - Sep 2 2015 - 11:15 am - 12:15 pm
Have you ever wondered what inspired the characters of Thor and Loki from the Avengers and the Thor movies? Are you eagerly anticipating Rick Riordan’s new series, Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard? In this class we will learn the real stories of the Norse and Celtic traditions, dividing the semester into studies of the Norse and Celtic mythic systems. We will read sections from the Welsh Mabinogion, and the Norse/British epic Beowulf. At the end of the course students will have the opportunity to use their creativity to retell a myth from the Norse or Celtic tradition. Retellings from past classes have included LEGO® simulations, Minecraft storytelling, and covers of pop songs with new, mythic lyrics.
Instructor: Allison Stieger
5-10 students, 8 years and older
Time: Wednesdays 11:15-12:15 am Pacific.
Weekly. Aug 31 – Dec 13, 2015. Fall Break Oct 19 – 23, 2015.
Class Registration Fee: $245.00 (GHF Members receive a 10% discount off the first class they sign up for)
GHF Members must be logged in to access the Member-only GHF Online registration form. The first day of class will be displayed on the Event Calendar. Weekly schedule of classes.
- Week 1: Introduction: Myth as Metaphor
- Week 2: The Norse Creation Story
- Week 3: The Norse Pantheon: Gods
- Week 4: The Norse Pantheon: Goddesses
- Week 5: Loki the Trickster and His Influence
- Week 6: Norse Heroes and Monsters
- Week 7: Ragnarok and the World’s End
- Week 8: Celtic Myth: Introduction
- Week 9: Celtic Creation Myths
- Week 10: Celtic Pantheon: Gods
- Week 11: Celtic Pantheon: Goddesses
- Week 12: Heroes and Monsters of the Celts
- Week 13: The Mabinogion: The Welsh Mythic Cycle
- Week 14: Beowulf
- Week 15: Class Presentations
- Week 16: Class Presentations